Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Birthday Party Cake Pops Fit for a Princess



My daughter loves cupcakes, cake pops, etc. So, knowing that she wanted a Princess theme for her 3rd Birthday Party, I took on Royal Cake Pops & a Regal Palace to display. What is a cake pop?? Well, I am new to this trend myself.  I was first introduced to the cake ball, which is a delectable combination of cake & frosting dipped in a hard candy shell.  There are many variations of cake pops, but I chose to do cake balls on lollipop sticks. It really wasn't difficult, just time consuming. If you are interested in learning how to make such a creation read the following…

THE CASTLE CONSTRUCTION:

Supply List:
* 2 Medium Paper Towel Rolls
* 2 Birthday Hats
* Rectangular Brick Shaped Box
* Smaller Brick Shaped Floral Foam (craft store)
* Scrapbook Paper 12x12 Sheets in various colors & patterns (craft store, Target)
* Embellishment Jewel Stickers (craft store)
* Ribbon
* Tulle (fabric store)
* Foam Board (craft store)
* Heavy Cardboard Presentation Board for bottom (craft store, office supply)
* Hot Glue
* Clear Packing Tape
* Staples for securing tulle
** Note: Sizes vary based upon how large you want to make your castle.

The Princess Castle was constructed out of a combination of cardboard, foam and scrapbook/craft supplies. I started with the assembly of the structure first. Using 2 paper towel rolls for the towers, I covered them in foil and 12x12 inch scrapbooking cardstock. Then, topped them with birthday hats wrapped in cardstock.  The Tower tops were raised up a bit by gluing them first onto used ribbon spools (covered with ribbon trim).

The rectangular portion was made from one cardboard box & one brick shaped floral foam (available at craft stores). For these, you can pick any sizes you like. They are covered in cardstock and decorated with ribbon, paper and embellishment jewel stickers (hot glued to secure).

Finally I took a large rectangular foam base and glued it to a large presentation board, covered it with tulle & glued the castle to it.  The foam base is necessary in order for the cake pops to stand up properly.  The birthday message is made from a pre-painted craft wood and scrapbooking stickers.  Tiny princesses were purchased at Target.


THE ROYAL JEWEL CAKE POPS:

Supply List:
*2 Cake Mixes (one Choc and one Funfetti) – you can use one or two, depending upon the amount you need – This makes about 40 cake pops.
* 2 Cans of Frosting (any flavor)
* 2-3 Bags of Melting Chips (colored or choc) (craft store or grocery store)
* Sprinkles or candy
* Lolipop Sticks (craft store – baking section)
* Clear Treat Bags (small)
* Ribbon
* Extra piece of foam to hold cake pops as they dry (cover with plastic wrap in order to use multiple times)

My Royal Cake Pops were made from a culmination of tips from a large range of sources (my Aunt Debby, my awesome neighbor – Amy (cake ball master), a cake pop book, online blogs and instruction guides. 

I made chocolate and funfetti cakes from store purchased mixes. Two cake mixes yeilds 40-45 Cake Pops.  Follow directions on box and make in 9x13in pans.
Once completely cool, I used my food processor to shred each cake into fine crumbs.   I mixed an entire can of white butter cream frosting into the funfetti crumbs – it should be the consistency of a truffle center.  I mixed triple milk chocolate frosting into the choc cake crumbs.  Covered and put into fridge for at least an hour.

Once cool and slightly hardened, I made 1 ½ Inch balls from the cake/frosting mixes.  Placed on foil lined cookie sheet and refrigerated for at least another hour (overnight would work too).  Many places instruct you to freeze the balls, but they end up “sweaty” once the candy coating is applied. 

Once cool and firm, they were ready for dipping.  This is the trickiest part… best to do with no distractions (ie husbands, children, etc) J.

The next step is to melt candy coating of your choice (I used Wilton’s Pink and Purple Melting chips for the funfetti cake and milk chocolate Ghirardelli chips for the chocolate cake).  Melt according to directions on bag.

I took one or two balls out of fridge at a time (this will ensure they stay firm).  I first dipped the lollipop stick into the melted candy coating, then inserted the stick half way through the ball and dipped / spoon painted the candy coating over the ball.  Finally, I sprinkled with candy sprinkles, etc. I used shimmering “diamond” crystals. I immediately placed the cake pop into an extra piece of foam board (covered with plastic wrap so that it can be re-used). 
NOTE: The first few may be rough, but it will get much easier as you go along!



Once they are completely dry, I covered with small treat sacks and secured with ribbons.  Then I placed the pretty pops into the foam around the Castle and into the top foam brick.  Viola! A Masterpiece!




1 comment: