Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Hot Mommas~Fit and Fabulous SLACKER FREE SNACKING

Everyone is off to a great start! I am so proud of you all for jumping in to your mission and hitting the trail to healthy living with fit and fabulous energy!  Keep those comments coming, they help you and others to stay on course.  Today’s topic is not an official mission – just an extra incentive to sticking to your plan…
Snacking happens for a variety of reasons: the need for an energy boost between meals, cravings, boredom, stress, socializing, etc…  Make a conscience effort to make our snacks purposeful.   Becoming aware of what we consume and its effect on our body and goals, really helps to ensure we make good choices.
In order to keep our metabolism pumping evenly throughout the day, a couple healthy snacks are essential.  It is much better to keep an even energy flow between meals, than to allow yourself to get hungry and overeat at meal times.  Good snack ideas include foods that are high in fiber, and include protein and low sugar and sodium.  Choose snacks that will give you sustainable energy instead of ones that fulfill a craving for the moment.  Don’t get me wrong – it is okay to splurge every now and then to enjoy life and something delightful.  After all, why are we doing this anyway? To suffer our way through another quick, failed diet – NO… we are changing our habits to make them life-long, healthy lifestyle adjustments.
How are we going to help ourselves with this idea of purposeful snacking??? SLACKER FREE SNACKING! This method is a Hot Momma trick that will keep us all on track.  Each time you pick up a snack, stop and think about why you are consuming it… is it because you are truly hungry and in need of an energy boost from a healthy option between meals?? If so, proceed. ……If not, and you decide to indulge anyway … THEN you owe yourself some cardio (ideally right then and there) the amount of seconds matches the amount of calories consumed (or about to be consumed).  For example, a Magnum Ice Cream bar = 270 calories, so that equals  4 minutes & 30 seconds of cardio (just a random example – I surely don’t know this right off the top of my head J).  This cardio can be jumping jacks, jogging or marching in place, walking the stairs, hops, walking swiftly along the hallway… whatever you choose.   It is best to do it right then – yes, right then.  Even if your indulgence is a Venti Frappaccino at Starbucks… quietly excuse yourself to the parking lot to get it done… hmmmm… makes you think – right?  
Try this a few times, and then start to realize just how expensive snacking can be…  Don’t be fooled, this “second matching cardio” does not actually burn off all of those calories – it just causes us to get some extra good out of our indulgence.  In order to burn off those 270 extra Magnum Ice Cream Bar calories, you would actually have to do about 30 EXTRA minutes of moderate exercise (for the average woman).  Interesting…

If you don’t know how many seconds you owe yourself, use this link (save it to your favorites):
Now, in order to help yourself remember to do this – print out the Slacker Free Snacking PDF (sent via email), cut it out, stick it to your fridge, cupboard, wallet, desk, etc…  make multiple copies if needed.
Have a Fabulous Weekend!

13 comments:

  1. This might mean that I will be doing this "short little workouts" all the time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh and I got a Bountiful Basket this morning and I took some time and prepped all the fruits and veggies so I can easily grab them for snacks! Since they're prepped, I'm more likely to grab them when I'm hungry then if I have to do work to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Tip Sarah! It's funny, I was just discussing this with Christina at the Farmer's Market today :). That is such a perfect strategy. Nice work Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worked on a nutrition plan for me and am making a list of meals/items that work for everyone in the family. I'm up to the challenge of finding primal diet dinners for Jon that meet my calorie needs and that the kids will eat. Thank goodness fresh fruits and vegies are universal for good nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see my daughter joining in on this one and be at the pantry every 20 minutes doing jumping jacks or running in circles...i'm sure her brother wont be far behind either :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such a great way to re-examine snacking. I am pretty sure people at work will think I am crazy as I do jumping jacks behind my desk, but perhaps that will be enough to make me think twice about that "nonessential" snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been using the Hungry Girl cookbooks. I love sweets, so it's nice being able to indulge without feeling too guilty about it. I love the Expresso Cake in a Mug. Plus, it's ready less than 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally a snacker... so I think I will doing little bursts of exercise to accommodate my snacking like Debby Anne... I need to go take a look at that cookbook Ashley- I have a big sweet tooth... cookies and brownies are my downfall :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and will be printing multiple copies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. It's 2315 and I was just about ready to go get my midnight snack - the thing is, I am breastfeeding a very large 7-month-old, and am truly ravenous at this time of night. Any tips? Instead of ice cream tonight I was planning on doing nuts and raisins. Anddddd, I just discovered a truly delicious raisin/peanut cookie recipe. Maybe that counts too? :-D

    ReplyDelete